Creamy, crunchy classic macaroni salad gets a clean-eating makeover using cauliflower in place of pasta. Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free.
- 1 large head cauliflower, any color
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 red or purple cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1/2 tsp gray sea salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Remove core from cauliflower; separate florets into pieces about the size of elbow macaroni
- Transfer florets to a medium, microwave-safe glass bowl. Add 1 tsp of water to the cauliflower. Cover bowl with a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high power 3 minutes. Remove bowl from microwave, uncover; let stand 15 minutes, or until cool to the touch.
- Drain any remaining water from cauliflower, return cauliflower to bowl. Add celery, onion, carrot, red bell pepper, cabbage, parsley, mayonnaise, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least one hour before serving, but recommend 2-3 hours. Refrigerate leftovers, covered, up to five days.
For sweeter salad, stir 2 tsp. local honey into the mayonnaise before adding to the salad.