- 2 cups organic masa harina
- 1 tsp. gray sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- In a medium bowl, whisk together masa and salt until well combined.
- Stir in water; knead mixture with hands until a cohesive dough forms. Cover bowl with a damp kitchen towel or plate, let stand 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 balls (for 8-inch tortillas), or 16 balls for mini (street taco size) tortillas. Cover dough balls until ready to roll into tortillas.
- To flatten dough balls, place one of the balls between two pieces of parchment paper. With parchment still in place, position a large dinner plate, pie plate, or similar on top of the dough ball; press down to flatten ball. Using a rolling pin, continue to flatten tortilla by rolling from the center of the tortilla out, turning the parchment 1/4 turn each time to keep the circle shape (like rolling out pie dough). Repeat with remaining dough balls. Stack tortillas between pieces of parchment until ready to cook.
- To cook, heat a dry cast iron, or similar skillet over high heat for 3 minutes. Add tortilla to pan and cook until lightly charred, but still pliable, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip tortilla and cook second side until lightly charred.
- Transfer tortilla to a tortilla warmer, or plate covered with a dry kitchen towel until ready to serve.
Keywords: corn tortilla, Mexican food