Unfussy dinners have been our mantra lately — simple, but flavor-packed, and this Kale Caesar Salad delivers. Kale, after it’s been massaged, is surprisingly light, and the perfect, quick dinner side kick that adds a fresh, lemony, salty, bright balance, along with a healthy dose of calcium, vitamin D, and Omegas from the anchovies, to any main meal.
It’s important to massage the kale before preparing to break down some of the cell walls and make the nutrients more bioavailable. Read more about why your kale needs a massage here.
The dressing is a zinger, SO GOOD! Print
Creamy, garlicky Caesar dressing with lots of fresh lemon brightens up massaged kale for a healthier version of a classic salad. Gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free.
- 2 anchovy fillets, packed in oil (or 1/2 tsp anchovy paste)
- 1/4 tsp gray sea salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sour cream or buttermilk (optional, to make it creamy)
- 8 cups packed shredded, massaged kale, any variety
- In a large bowl mash together anchovy, salt, and garlic.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire, lemon zest and juice, Parmesan, oil, vinegar, and sour cream; whisk until well blended.
- Add kale and toss until well coated. Serve immediately, or refrigerate salad, covered, up to 3 days.
Serve as a side dish with any meal, or make it a meal by adding grilled, baked, or poached chicken or salmon.
Fancy it up with croutons, roasted red pepper, or grilled veg.
Keywords: Caesar salad, Kale, Side Dish